Search This Website

Paleontology by Victorio N. Sugbo (Poem)

Paleontology
by Victorio N. Sugbo

Grandfather, you had left long before
You even heard my very first gasp of air.

Only these papers wrapped in
Manila paper are all I have of you.

I had long wanted to see you
And knew this was a long shot.

Father is gone. So is mother.
And on my table, I place

Your Ateneo diploma de mercantil,
Your marriage contract with grandmother,

This roto picture when you once ran for city mayor,
The twelve land titles, your letters to grandmother,

This brownish piece of cloth that graphs the streets of our house,
This cursive Spanish-worded document with your signature.

I arrange your papers,
Hoping I would see you here.

The Summer Solstice by Nick Joaquin (Short Story)

The Moretas were spending St. John’s Day with the children’s grandfather, whose feast day it was. Doña Lupeng awoke feeling faint with the h...