Search This Website

The Sacred Passion of Saint Joseph by Jose F. Lacaba (Poem)

The Sacred Passion of Saint Joseph
By Jose F. Lacaba

Matay na niyang isipin
ang kabuntisan ng Birhen
anopa't babaling-baling,
walang matutuhang gawin
ang loob niya't panimdim.
- Pasyong Mahal

Chisel, plane and hammer,
listen, I'll whisper
my bitter secret: though
I've never whatchamacallit her,
my girlfriend's pregnant.

An angel tells me there's nothing
for me to be ashamed of,
there's no reason to cry;
in fact, I'm supposed to be glad

because my girl's been raped by God.

Hammer, plane and chisel,
is anger allowed to
a carpenter? Suffer in silence.
The weak and the small,
I hear, are no match for heaven.

The Summer Solstice by Nick Joaquin (Short Story)

The Moretas were spending St. John’s Day with the children’s grandfather, whose feast day it was. Doña Lupeng awoke feeling faint with the h...